U.S. Government Says Anthrax Suspect Acted Alone

Posted on August 9, 2008

Earlier this month the FBI's suspect in the anthrax case, Dr. Bruce E. Ivins, 62, committed suicide just as the Justice Department was about to file criminal charges against him. Dr. Ivins worked at Ft. Detrick on anthrax research and he helped the FBI on the 2001 anthrax cases.
A top government scientist who helped the FBI analyze samples from the 2001 anthrax attacks has died in Maryland from an apparent suicide, just as the Justice Department was about to file criminal charges against him for the attacks, the Los Angeles Times has learned.

Bruce E. Ivins, 62, who for the last 18 years worked at the government's elite biodefense research laboratories at Ft. Detrick, Md., had been informed of his impending prosecution, said people familiar with Ivins, his suspicious death and the FBI investigation.
Many of his co-workers and friends did not see Ivins as a threat.
To some of his longtime colleagues and neighbors, it was a startling and inexplicable turn of events for a churchgoing, family-oriented germ researcher known for his jolly disposition - the guy who did a juggling act at community events and composed satiric ballads he played on guitar or piano to departing co-workers.

"He did not seem to have any particular grudges or idiosyncrasies," said Dr. Kenneth Hedlund, a retired physician who once worked alongside Ivins at the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases in Frederick. "He was the last person you would have suspected to be involved in something like this."
One person who did perceive Ivins as a major threat was his therapist Jean Duley. This video has a recording from a court hearing where frightened therapist Jean Duley sought a protective order from Dr. Ivins on July 24th. Duley feared for her life and called Dr. Bruce Ivins a psychotic "revenge killer."

The government's position is that Ivins is guilty and that he acted alone in distributing the deadly anthrax in 2001, which killed five people. Journalists continue to ask questions about the investigation. One reason for this is because bio-weapons expert Steven Hatfill was at one point wrongly accused for this same crime. There are also questions being raised as to why someone with mental problems was allowed near the deadly anthrax in the first place.